Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: bishop22

In the 7 days ending May 23, 2010:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering1 3:00:24 6.84(26:24) 11.0(16:24) 68020 /23c86%
  Running3 1:36:01 11.48(8:22) 18.48(5:12)
  Total4 4:36:25 18.31(15:06) 29.48(9:23) 68020 /23c86%
averages - sleep:6.8

» now

Sunday May 23, 2010 #

11 AM

Orienteering race 3:00:24 [2] *** 11.0 km (16:24 / km) +680m 12:32 / km

Billygoat at Mt. Tom in Holyoke, MA.

Walt and Patty also traveled with nate and Luke, so we had six family finishers, also a Billygoat record!

Tough course, physically, with lots of climb, but the navigation was only tough on a few early legs.

Luke was the highlight of the day, becoming the youngest finisher in history, with a surprising 15 minutes to spare.

I toured the course with Zach who, unfortunately, developed sore feet, presumably from the rocky ground, before the halfway point, so it became nearly impossible for him to run. We were in decent position at the manned station, but had to walk almost all of the rest, which was too bad, since we could have made great time on the trails from 17 to the finish. Luke gained 15 minutes on us in the second half.

Chelsea got a ride to the meet from Barb and Dave, but chose to sit out the Gruff, with her best excuse being that her Crew coach would kill her if she got hurt two weeks before Nationals.

Saturday May 22, 2010 #

3 PM

Running 18:36 [2] 2.2 mi (8:27 / mi)

Squeezed in a short run during the [non-scoring] walk and the Pent 1500 at the Monroe County Track Championships at Hilton. Ran down into the village, did a short loop and returned. The 200 was about to start when I got back, so I couldn't stretch it to 3 miles. I did a bunch of "strides" to get around the outside of the track for maximized viewing pleasure.

What an outstanding meet for Schroeder! The results are here. There are 23 teams in the Legaue and we had kids win the 110 Hurdles (15.8 into the wind), 200 (21.8), 400 (47.8 after running 47.2 in the 4x4 relay), 400 Hurdles (57.1), 800 (1:55.99), and Steeplechase (Nico cruised to 10:00, winning by 14 seconds). We scored 108 points to easily outdistance Gates (69) and R-H (66).

Our top guys were not our only good performers. nate broke 10 in the 3200 to finish 7th in a tough field (led by HF-L's Deir and Mangan). nate had been are #4 time in the 800, with a 2:03.1 in his only real race. Joe Wehrle went 2:02.7 to grab 7th place (despite being in the slow heat). Then in the 4x800 relay, Steve ran 2:02.0 as the second leg and then Ben ran 2:01.3 for the third leg, bumping nate's time all the way down to 7th. It would have been nice to see what nate could do when fresh.

Friday May 21, 2010 #

6 PM

Running 30:00 intensity: (18:00 @2) + (12:00 @4) 3.68 mi (8:09 / mi)

Felt guilty about 3 days off this week, so even though we have the Billygoat coming up on Sunday, I decided to do 4 x 3 minutes today. I ran from Luke's baseball field after dropping him off and only missed one inning. After a 6 minute w/up, I went 3 on, 3 off going around the block. The last pick-up was almost all on the trails. I covered about 0.46 miles on the first, then 0.46, 0.48, 0.46, so it was faster than the tempo pace that I had planned.

Tomorrow will be a long day - the County track meet starts at 10am over in Hilton. I think it could go to 4:30, or later if there are any lightning delays, then we still have to drive over to Holyoke, MA for our hotel.

Thursday May 20, 2010 #

slept:7.0 (rest day)

The JV Meet moved along so quickly, despite the incredible number of heats (e.g. 16 heats of the 200; 5 heats of the 1600), and I wanted to make sure I talked to the youngsters before their races, so I didn't end up sneaking out for a run during a sprint event. Home around 9:30, so no desire to do anything except eat.

Wednesday May 19, 2010 #

6 PM

Running race 47:25 [4] 5.6 mi (8:28 / mi)

Dirt Cheap Trail Race #2 @ Webster Park

Went by track practice before the race and had the boys do a final tune-up before Counties. The guys ending at Counties / Sectionals went a little easier, but the basic idea was 2 sets of 800T, 500R, 300R, about 5 minutes between sets, only a minute after the 800 and a bit over 2 after the 500.

Then it was off to Webster Park for Walt's 69th birthday race. My legs were still quite heavy from the weekend, so I didn't press things. I think there were 3 different women leading their race at different times, and I was briefly ahead of them twice, but the last two miles, I just ran behind the leader, falling back on the uphills and easily catching back up.

Dan won again, after having beer and wings in the afternoon at the Bill, or some story like that. Patty just missed second overall and Walt won his age group again. Brigid even joined the fun, although she tried to drop out at the water stop, but when people kept going by, she jumped back in.

My performance was only slightly worse than last month's race, even though I took it a fair amount easier.

Tuesday May 18, 2010 #

(rest day)

Worked until 8pm, then had to pick up a hockey refund, so I got home late and could not talk Chris into going to the Y with me, so I just ate instead.

Monday May 17, 2010 #

slept:9.0 (rest day)

Too much to take care of to run before the track meet and I had to pick Luke up at baseball right after.

Track meet was at Fairport (again? every year?). We started looking like we were going to pull our annual choke at Fairport, thanks to our #2 sprinter being out with blisters from playing soccer on the weekend, our top 800 guy lost 2nd in the 400 in a tough call by the official, and then had to sit the 800 out, due his ankle flaring up (so they swept us in the 800). And our top 3200 guy overdid things earlier in the meet and finished 3rd. Plus nate had nothing left in his legs after the Team Trials the past two days. And our top vaulter no-heighted, coming in too high with a sore back.

But some of our field event guys had a rare big day. A PR in the Long Jump was good enough to win, our 7th grade Triple Jumper went over 39-feet (unreal!), for 2nd and our second shot put guy grabbed an unexpected third. This set us up to only need one relay to win the meet. We had won the 100, almost went 1-2 in the 400 and were swept in the 800, so the obvious relay to go after was the 4x800, not the 4x400 or 4x100! Our first two guys led, with just 2:06 (fresh) and 2:10 (coming off a 2:03 in the open 800), so the 1:59 third leg put things away and we had our new sprinter anchoring, who was able to just cruise to a 2:02 (after winning the 400, 100 and 200 - in 21.6 or something sick like that).

« Earlier | Later »