Orienteering race 18:15  4.5 km (4:03 / km) +30m3:55 / km shoes: O-Inov8 Mudclaw 330
A reasonably solid NAOC Sprint race for me. Just (phew) 5 sec lost to #1 after noticing a dead end before too much time loss, and a stupid exit of 6 costing another 5 sec.
Cleanish near the end thinking "gotta be a clean rabbit for John H. Williams to follow" - which perhaps just helped enough for him to score in 3rd for US.
Orienteering race 15:00 3.3 km (4:33 / km) +40m4:17 / km shoes: O-Inov8 Mudclaw 330
By far, the highlight of the weekend.
- I had a very solid race, pulling ahead of and mostly holding off several other strong competitors (Zhyk, Enger, Childs). Love head-to-head orienteering racing.
- We helped with scoring, pushing Canada #2 out of scoring range, thus being a helpful part of the event that helped the US Win the NAOC JK cup again - after a very close first 3 races, a walloping success in the relay was great!
- I got to tag off to Angelica - who also had a solid race - and I can thank many people for encouraging her to run after Sandra wasn't feeling well - Kseniya, Ian & I all got to run (and did so well & proudly)
Running warm up/down 15:00  3.0 km (5:00 / km) shoes: O-Inov8 Mudclaw 330
Orienteering race 1:51:21 14.0 km (7:57 / km) +200m7:25 / km shoes: O-Icebug - Blk Spirit II OLX 2
Trying to be much more careful after the day before. Still messed up:
- the first one - poor bearing in from the marsh crossing.
- # 4 - too carefully aimed to follow lake edge, and it was thick and indistinct edge over there...
- # 5 - trying to go carefully along (not chasing Damien), and still lost reading the hillside near the end, almost missing it and catching a glimpse of it 50m off where I expected to find it - it retrospect, a way-around route to the trail and power line would've been much better.
Orienteering race 50:50 6.0 km (8:28 / km) +150m7:32 / km
NAOC Middle Distance Champs
Had looked at maps a bit, and talked a bit ('awful', people said), but was not prepared to navigate cleanly in this terrain.
First few were okay, but then got really thrown off by some possibly unmapped distinct vegetation enroute to a veg. attackpoint, and swirled around quite a bit - -3min., and caught by Ross & Will C. At which point I (stupidly) went into chase-them mode - which was fun for 2 controls, and 5 minutes, until I lost them en-route on the hardest leg. Then they came back toward me a minute later, apparently searching, and the next several minutes went on for an eternity - guess & checking several locations - while watching probably 8-12 other national team suits doing the same thing...
Recovered at a lake I thought was a field, on the map when I through I was off...
Jogged it in as cleanly as I could after that 9 minute loss, as training for the Long.
Running warm up/down 15:00  2.5 km (6:00 / km) shoes: O-Icebug - Blk Spirit II OLX 2
Warm-up enforced by walk to start - and some more there in the woods on the warm-up map (thx!), and then even some cooldown in the parking lot after seeing Kseniya & Greg doing that.. :)
The usual set, in the evening. Not much was hurting before - though some weakness in the R-leg, esp. hip flexor 1-2 weeks ago - suggests I shouldn't forget this routine...
R-IT is a bit sore after- but that's tolerable and better than the general knee achiness, and hip-flexor issues that sometimes arise.
Which reminds me, the L-IT was pretty pinchy during the Sat. run and after - apparently I did the sleep funny thing on Fri. night that resets the hip bone resting points in the rare opposite position. I wonder if I'll ever learn to reset that on demand, to shift the IT pain around... ;)
Running51:51 7.1 km (7:18 / km) +149m6:37 / km ahr:120 max:141 shoes: R-NB 481 Gray/Orange 3