2010 Billygoat again. Walking this time, the whole way, no cheating. Interesting experiment. Beat about 4 splits on the original. No mistakes. One fall (though that was a solid face plant). One stick in the eye, could have been serious, a very solid hit, but off center, just in the inside corner (pretty sore afterwards but vision ok).
My navigating was right on, though it is a lot easier when just walking, lots of time to both look at the map and look around in the terrain. A few comments about some legs --
1. Stayed up on the hillside on the first part, figured it was shorter. Not sure it was faster though.
3. I'd heard folks complaining about a control in an area not field-checked. f you have any O' skills at all, you shouldn't miss this one, a good-sized knoll on a steep hillside. Should never miss it. And if you've ever orienteered on not-so-good maps (or rogained), you wouldn't be worried about it either.
4. Here as on several other climbing legs (6, 10, 13, 14, 17), my time walking was just as fast as my time a month ago racing. Of course I was just walking then too.
7. Tried a different exit from 6, back and then right. Not sure it is better walking, but would have been better racing. Stick in the eye approaching the control, hurt pretty good.
9. A better route, a little left, picked up the ride by the depression and the control was simple and fast.
11. A little farther right (and better) than before.
19. Cut straight down through the woods. Don't think it was any better, though I think it might be for someone more coordinated.
20. Higher (slightly more left) line, better I think.
23. Took the left fork since it looked shorter.
from the race.
My routes from today (coming).
Oh, and it was hot and humid, soaking wet by the end. I'd left a bottle at 12, just drank half of it. Lost my usual 5 pounds or so.
Heart data from the last half hour or so is bogus. Max was about 140. FDF count was about 10, plus lots of twigs.