Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: tRicky

In the 7 days ending Apr 28:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Mountain bike3 10:44:27 127.82(11.9/h) 205.7(19.2/h) 3259
  Orienteering (bush)2 1:23:31 5.31(15:44) 8.54(9:47) 1748 /14c57%
  Running2 54:42 7.55(7:15) 12.16(4:30) 35
  Road bike1 25:07 6.48(15.5/h) 10.43(24.9/h)
  Orienteering (urban)1 19:21 2.28(8:29) 3.67(5:16)12 /19c63%
  Total8 13:47:08 149.44(5:32) 240.5(3:26) 346920 /33c60%
  [1-5]8 13:43:58

» now

Saturday Apr 27 #

7 AM

Mountain bike warm up/down 9:01 intensity: (3:34 @1) + (3:16 @2) + (1:55 @3) + (16 @4) 3.56 km (23.7 kph) +10m
ahr:127 max:164 shoes: Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er

Mountain bike race (Karri Cup) 4:06:30 intensity: (2:33 @1) + (31:18 @2) + (2:27:24 @3) + (1:04:20 @4) + (55 @5) 100.65 km (24.5 kph) +1585m
ahr:154 max:191 shoes: Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er

Rode in groups for the 1st and 2nd stages then on my own for the 3rd because none of the fast guys stopped long enough to eat their lunches so they all left before I'd finished my salad roll. Might have been a blessing in disguise though because although it was my slowest stage (by average speed) it was my best placed leg (7th) because the top guys all missed a turn and rode a couple of kilometres before realising whereas I saw the track off to the right of the main road, figured there should be an arrow somewhere and sure enough spotted it right down on the ground on the right side of the road and made the turn. Stopped another guy from riding off into the distance because he turned around and saw me turn and realised. He was the only other rider I saw on this leg.

Final leg I decided to ride in another small group (let the fast group go off again) and stayed pretty much with them for much of it but Damon rode off into the distance while the other three of us tried to play catch up, then when Damon's legs blew up for going out too hard, we caught him but then mine did the same so the other two got well ahead of me. I dropped Damon (though he still beat me by a few seconds on that leg having started a minute or so after us) then struggled across the line. I was feeling pretty dead inside and outside for about the final 10km. Absolutely whacked at the finish, made the most of the fundraiser canteen (felt sorry for the later finishers because we cleaned out the canteen of all the drinks) and waited for Tash to finish.

Results today (Sunday) say I was 12th overall, four places down on two years ago but over two minutes faster, and 11th in the male vets, which says a lot about the open competition (dunno why they call it open when anyone 35 or over can't enter it). 8 entrants in the male open and a whopping 80 in the vets, wow!

Got to say I enjoy the old course a lot more than this one. Takes about a half hour longer but had so much more variety with several single track sections and different trail varieties but then when the whole neighbourhood gets burned out, well that's what happens. Current course is fast and somewhat flat other than the end of stage 1/start of stage 4 with a nasty down and up on an awful section of track (my gearing ratio almost didn't cope with it coming into the last stage but I powered through). It's definitely a MTBO map worthy area down there but never going to happen being too far from Perth.

Tash scored herself a cash prize for winning the female open category in the 50km race, after finishing 3rd two years ago. She was a bit shocked.

Mountain bike warm up/down 16:24 intensity: (15:57 @1) + (27 @2) 4.73 km (17.3 kph) +31m
ahr:100 max:126 shoes: Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er

Friday Apr 26 #

11 AM

Orienteering (urban) race (Narrogin SHS) 19:21 intensity: (5 @1) + (8 @2) + (1:47 @3) + (14:20 @4) + (3:01 @5) *** 3.67 km (5:16 / km)
ahr:168 max:178 spiked:12/19c shoes: Salomon Speedtrak black/yellow

Australian Sprint Champs, M40A (first time acting my age in a sprint)

Course was a bit longer than I like for sprints, and I would have loved 1:3000, but I did enjoy it immensely. Great to have a sprint at Narrogin with no other runners around.

Jokes aside though, I had a pretty horrific run and I think my brain switched off very early, probably right at the point that Simmo told me the controls probably weren't awake (I was first runner on the course, was originally billed as last M40 but got put ahead of everyone after volunteering on starts) which I soon found out was indeed the case when the first control needed to be woken up, along with about 50% of the controls on my course. Didn't affect results in terms of time but didn't help my mindframe.

Seem to have nailed the first control, buggered up the second by reading too much OOB on the map and thusly avoided the cut through I could have taken - the short section that wasn't taped off should have triggered my brain into action. Turned in early twice on the way to #3 and at that stage I knew for certain I wasn't in the zone.

Poor route to #5 down and up the hill when I failed to see the gates mapped on the car park option and figured I'd have to go around (although would have avoided any climb). Total brain fade to #6 by going into the bush after I thought I passed my left hand track turn off, then the extremely short leg 8-9 I ran out of the depression that #8 was in and straight back into it rather than the one south of it. Stupid.

Compounded my errors by going to #13 before #12, hesitated briefly on the way to #16 then ran a short way into OOB just next to #17 before realising and backing out (it was taped on the far side but not the near side and looked exactly like the rough open right next to it).

After I finished my run I predicted a winning time of 17mins in my category and I was almost spot on with that. I also predicted that I would not make the podium but I just snuck on, 8sec ahead of Matt Cohen in an otherwise tiny field.

All in all a shithouse run and doesn't instill me with any desire to go to Oceania later in the year when I could stay in WA and do a 50km MTB race instead as part of the XCM series (of which I should be able to make 4 of 5 races), which I shouldn't muck up.

We did stop off at the chicken place in Bridgetown on the way to Northcliffe for dinner and I chatted with a woman customer there about orienteering. They were having a birthday celebration and had too much cake so gave us some, fortuitous since it was my birthday two days later!

Wednesday Apr 24 #

8 AM

Running intervals 52:29 intensity: (38 @1) + (4:31 @2) + (9:07 @3) + (34:13 @4) + (4:00 @5) 11.81 km (4:27 / km) +13m 4:25 / km
ahr:164 max:183 shoes: Salomon Speedtrak black/yellow

Dropped the car off at S Technic this morning since it's two years overdue for a service then decided to run home from there. Figured I'd do a mix of ultra long (GoogleCraps said it was 11.5km but I took shortcuts and added in extra bits so it came out a bit over in the end) and sprint training with 5 x 500/500 intervals along the way. Didn't go flat out on the intervals, just upped the pace a bit because I do have a race in a couple of days and a longer race the day after that so didn't want to wear myself out. The last 500 hard rep was almost entirely on a track then grass so slower than the others, which were predominately paths.

Left Achilles was a bit sore but doesn't seem to be getting any worse so I'll call that a win.
4 PM

Road bike (commute) 25:07 [1] 10.43 km (24.9 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

Back to S Technic to pick up the mobile, this time using a far easier mode of transport (although in my running shoes for authenticity). Discovered the futility in ringing my bell when in two of the three instances where I used it, I ended up in the dirt anyway. Don't know what the second guy was doing but he was on the wrong side of the path and I gave him plenty of (probably too much) warning, he stayed on that side but then decided to move across to the left just as I got near him. The other two instances involved kids so had no chance there.

Managed to tick the Subaru over to exactly 125,000 when I dropped it off this morning so its next service is at 135,000 or six months, whichever comes later (so I believe).

Tuesday Apr 23 #

11 AM

Mountain bike 3:08:35 intensity: (3:10 @0) + (1:26:45 @1) + (54:46 @2) + (36:50 @3) + (6:42 @4) + (22 @5) 47.39 km (15.1 kph) +956m
ahr:123 max:175

I was bitterly disappointed with yesterday's ride so decided to go out for another one today. Thought I'd go old school and ride the old circuit (or at least parts of it) from PBGS out the old way to WNM then through to the top of Gungin. Given the way I rode WNM today I really thought I'd set a new PB but sadly it was a miserable 12s off that but still a good effort. Well I thought so anyway.

I read recently in Saz's log (back in Feb but it's one of her latest posts) that there was a new trail down from Gungin so I made it my mission to go and find it. After topping Gungin (the first time) it wasn't immediately apparent but I thought perhaps it was a newish looking trail that came off the back from the old trail behind the funny chimney thing so with that in mind I decided it would go back out to Lockwood and that I should therefore ride it on the way home.

From there down the trails to Black Stump then out to Piesse Brook. Tried and failed to take the downhill single track to the bottom, only ending up back on the rubbish 4WD trail that I was trying to avoid. Down to the end of the trail at the bottom and back up the powerlines because who doesn't need a good hill climb, then proceeded to almost kill myself coming off the powerline trail onto Elson Rd when I made the mistake of looking at the huge rut I was trying to skirt but that just led to aiming my wheel right for it so had to do a massive attempt at jumping the front wheel over it and praying, which actually worked and I didn't fall off.

Thought I had a good run of Flaccid Ashback but sadly today's time didn't even break 7mins, which seems to be the norm when I've ridden for almost two hours before attempting it. My best times are when I go there right at the start of my ride.

Back up Gungin then down the new track which just kept going on and on and on and I had no idea where it was taking me after crossing the powerlines and I was more than surprised to end up at the shuttle bay at the bottom of Alchemy, which was on the complete opposite side of Mt Gungin from where I wanted to be, darnit.

So from there hopped on the Munda Biddi then rode that back to the other side of Gungin, by which point I was too tired to continue my planned ride so hopped on Patterson and headed for home via the Repatriation loop, which nearly did end me.

Was quite appalled to see the PBGS was once again shut when I tried to go and buy my lunch there - at 2:30pm on a Tuesday!!!!! I don't actually recall the last time it was open when I tried to buy something there. The nice shiny "Under New Management" sign out the front obviously refers to new owners, who've done nothing about actually being open at a decent hour. Pretty sure I've said this before but the PBGS obviously stands for Pickering Brook - Generally Shut.

Attempted to go to Kaarakin on the way home to ask about permission for Tash's event on May 25 (they looked like they were open when I went past there at 8:45 yesterday morning) but sadly they too were shut. Should have stopped in yesterday but I was under perceived time pressure so didn't go.

Monday Apr 22 #

12 PM

Running warm up/down 2:13 intensity: (20 @1) + (23 @2) + (1:30 @3) 0.34 km (6:28 / km) +23m 4:52 / km
ahr:138 max:156 shoes: Salomon Fellraiser black/blue

A completely innocuous and insubstantial warmup.

Orienteering (bush) race (Umuna) 26:53 intensity: (2:23 @1) + (2:11 @2) + (8:40 @3) + (13:12 @4) + (27 @5) *** 4.09 km (6:35 / km) +64m 6:06 / km
ahr:156 max:182 spiked:8/14c shoes: Salomon Fellraiser black/blue

EOD Hard ('coz official entries are for serious orienteers)

Had a few issues at the start whereby they'd run out of course 9 maps so I went to run with a course 8, only to take off and realise I somehow had an EOD Easy course. Came back to restart and they'd found the EOD H maps so I recommenced with one of those after fumbling around the Garmin to restart it.

Given it's been around ten months since my last run in the bush, I went about as well as I could expect. End result against all the other EOD H noobs doesn't paint a picture of how bad my run was, in fact AP says I only lost ~53 seconds at CP 3 given no-one else had a spectacular time on it but in actual fact it was around three minutes (6:02 for a <500m leg in hugely runnable terrain is not ideal). Had fenry and Wayne both run past as I was standing around wondering where I was.

#5 was next to a 3m boulder so I ran to and around the biggest boulder in the middle of the circle only to not find it, double back and find it next to the slightly smaller boulder that I almost fell over to get to the one I went to (missed the CP by about 2m) - apparently the bigger boulder was actually part of a boulder field??? Overshot #6 and hit the track behind it as I misread the map as having the control over a hill but in fact it was not.

Ballsed up 8, slight overshoot on 9 then there was NO WAY the control I was heading for at 11 was mine but I went and checked and sure enough it was. Checked the foot of the gully instead of the head at 12, then slammed around the last two (although Blake and Aldo had their skates on and rolled me on the last and the finish, if I'd had a good run I would have gone faster but didn't think it was worth it).

Good fun though, I love this map. Shame I had to hang around for two and a half hours to start because the bulletin didn't say anything about start times for EODs, just that I had to register before 11:30am although I couldn't actually start until after 12:15 (I got there at 9:30). I was meant to be helping at the finish but they had nothing for me to do (just like on Friday - I think the volunteer coordinator got a bit enthusiastic about the numbers required) so I just spent the time distracting all the vollies with real jobs instead.

This is also the only bush run I get to do before the ultra long next month so I should be in top form for it.
2 PM

Orienteering (bush) 56:38 [1] 4.45 km (12:43 / km) +110m 11:19 / km
shoes: Salomon Fellraiser black/blue

Control collecting, where I didn't bother taking anything with me to assist in carrying ten controls but managed okay. Navigated about the same as I did during the event.
4 PM

Mountain bike 3:03:57 intensity: (1:55:10 @1) + (47:26 @2) + (21:21 @3) 49.37 km (16.1 kph) +676m
ahr:111 max:156 shoes: Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er

I really wanted to get a longish ride in today but after CP collecting it didn't leave much time. My original plan was a boring as sh-- ride along the powerline track from Brookton Hwy but Richard and Debbie had said at the event they were going down to Dwellingup to ride the Munda Biddi so I decided to go to where it crosses Brookton Hwy and ride it south for a goodly distance then return.

Figured I had about two hours of daylight so thought I'd go out for an hour or 20km (whichever came second) and return. As it turned out, by the time I got to 20km (I had to add a bit extra because I knew I was going to take a shortcut to the car when I got back), I was so close to Albany Hwy that I decided to just get there and then return. Unfortunately I didn't realise that the track turns at that point and parallels the highway for 3km before it eventually crosses it so I looped back around the highway to save time then made my way back.

It got darker and darker as I was riding back until eventually I was rolling along using my GPS trace on breadcrumb because I could no longer see the trail markings or in fact the trail - I didn't have my lights and left the phone with its (probably) useful torch function in the car. Had a few wrong turns and the last 7km was so slow it was really a waste of time (I had to walk a couple of overly narrow sections in the event I ran into a tree) but thankfully it wasn't hilly so rolling along on the flats wasn't too bad. Found the car and thanked my lucky stars not to stack it in the last bit although I came close in a couple of ruts.

« Earlier | Later »