Orienteering (MTB) 2:04:58  41.85 km (20.1 kph) +558m
shoes: Giant XTC Advanced SL 29er
Test run of the 29er versus the Anthem. 29er wins.
Today was a day of obstructions. Started off on the drive to Langford Park when I got held up by a couple of oversize vehicles turning left from Armadale Rd onto Tonkin nth so they weren't directly obstructing me but the traffic controllers had fixed the lights to green for Armadale Rd so I sat and waited...
Rode almost the same course for Langford Park as I rode the first time I did it except i picked the three shorter routes from the second time. Had a few hold ups and the five splits that I lost are pretty easily explainable:
- 2->3 got held up by a couple of other riders who then proceeded to give way to me although I told them I'd be coming right back out.
- 3->4 on the way to Lnagford Park I'd seen some 'event crossing' signs and had wondered what they were about. Turns out there was an equestrian cross country event on and i encountered my first lot of horses on the 'long' leg. Unfortunately scared the first one I encountered when I hit the brakes about 50m away and it got skittish and the large, grumpy woman riding it started abusing me so I crawled past, copping abuse all the way. After that I stopped for any other horse I encountered so ultimately this leg was slower (by a very small margin) than when I rode it a few weeks ago.
- 4->5 lost the track on the way
- 9->10 negligible, track was sandier than I remember it
- 14->15 encountered signs of horses again, unfortunately this was the other 'long' leg and the track was pretty torn up from the horses all the way there so it was slow going. Had to stop for a couple more horses. Stopped the watch both times but still lost time in slowing down.
On the way home I saw a couple of ducks on the road and they weren't going anywhere in a hurry so had to stop for them, then encountered roadworks on Thomas Rd and had to stop since it was down to single lane. Apparently it takes two guys and an esky to operate a stop sign for roadworks that don't appear to be happening!