NEOC Breakheart Red Course, set by Lori and Stephen. I ran aggressively, and won, though as I set several of the controls, the race wasn't entirely objective. I'm curious to see whether the splits are biased towards the sites I had already visited. It's fair to say that Giacomo effectively won the race, but I'm happy with my performance.
This morning, I set controls 8, 9, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23, though I had no idea they would be on my course, and didn't study the legs. I won 7 of the 8 controls I set; Giacomo crushed me on the last control.
1) Down the trail
2) Back to the trail and in, a little wobbly on the attack, distracted by another boulder
3) Compass fail; didn't read my map clearly enough. 0:30 lost.
4) After the mistake, I was filled with resolve and ran hard into an easy control.
5) Used the stone wall as a handrail after the road, cleanly in
6) The hillside and reentrant had difficult footing, after punching down to the road, I used the stone wall as a handrail. Passed a few people going up into the control.
7) Around to the left to dodge some of the green. I startled two people walking a course at the flag.
8) Bit of a dubious route choice; I didn't want to climb, so I ran around on the right. The footing was ok, but it was a slog, and probably lost 0:30 to route choice. I did have the benefit of a great attackpoint - up the reentrant and over the hill. Didn't stop to drink.
9) In and out.
10) The woods were great here; I descended two trails and dragged myself up the reentrant. The control was visible from the road, but the climb was tiring.
11) Followed the line of cliffs on the hill to the left, ran over the bare rock, and was momentarily confused by lots of little cliffy gnolls. Took a second to decipher the map inside the circle.
12) Upset by sluggishness, I charged down the hill to the road without much regard for my direction, as I knew the road would be fast and easy into the flag. The descent in the circle was awkward, as the flag was nestled among some rocks. Ran past some civilians on the road.
13) Clean, but maybe getting tired.
14) I hesitated leaving 13 regarding what route to take, and chose poorly. I didn't really know where I was as I descended the hillside, and popped out further north than expected. 0:30 lost; I should have stuck to the trails.
15) I went straight, which was difficult in the thick vegetation. I was counting on the trails serving as collecting features, as negotiating the green required lots of microroute choice. I didn't notice the route to the left along the hill, which I think is best. The control was visible from far off, just tricky getting past the swamp.
16) Busted out to the road and kicked it up. I passed Dean as we left the road to run into the flag.
17) I decided to ignore the trails and charge over the little hill, but I didn't watch my compass closely enough and drifted right. Easy fix, but some time lost (0:10?).
18) Getting around the hills was a little tricky, but the route was very safe across the green-briar strewn bridge. I passed two older people walking to the same control.
19) Blasted down the trail, attacked via the line of big boulders. Clean.
20) I decided to go straight, and saw the cliff high and slightly to my left.
21) Busted down to the road and ran around. Passed a few people.
22) I was a little sluggish getting over the first hill, but once I hit the trail over the large hill, I started kicking and flew past a few people. The descent was steeper than I expected, and my quads burned trying to control my fall.
23) My legs were smoked, and I unsteadily hauled myself down the trail. Crossing the marsh was probably better, and I should have attacked the control north of the cliff rather than south.