map with route
Turned over map and first reaction was "I can't do this". So long but safe route to 1. After I left the trail, paid a lot of attention to what was mapped and what wasn't. I think this helped with the rest of the race. A beautiful face plant on trail to 1 in front of some mountain bikers.
2) should have gone below the cliffs instead of trying to scramble down them.Thinking that I am moving way too slowly, being too cautious, and need to speed up.
3) Pretty slow going, but managed to keep in right direction.
4) Pretty much straight, stopping a couple of times to verify my location, but at least moving a little faster and starting to think I can read this map.
5) Probably should have gone to the left of the swamp, but didn't even consider that route. At edge of circle, got distracted by all the lost people, and followed them instead of trusting my judgement. Lost about 4 minutes, almost all of it within the control circle.
6) Turned just a little late, cost 6 minutes because I hadn't been paying enough attention. Should have stopped and looked around about 30 seconds before I turned when I had that niggling feeling that I wasn't quite where I thought I was.
7) Wow! Open woods and clear visiblity! Whee!
8) Took an indirect but safer route. Muttering to myself about being such a wimp. Less muttering after the race when I saw some of the splits on this leg! Headed down to larger swam then crossed the creek and down to open area across the creek from the control. Could see the control from the top of the hill across the creek.
9) Long leg. Got tired of trails, so cut across at end. Cost 3-4 minutes.
10) Should have gone across the bare rock. A bit of a struggle for parts of what I was doing.
11) Should have headed more west leaving the control, but it was much more open heading further south. At least until the last 20m to the trail when I got hopelessly tangled up. Long safe trail route from there. Lots of people looking lost in the area, so maybe a wise route.
12) Just straight. No reason to do anything else.
13) Despite several people just ahead of me heading due east and going around the hill, I went straight. Still think it was the right choice.
Finished the race pretty disappointed with my speed and the number of bigger errors I had made. (Funny what counts as a big error now compared to a year or two ago.)