Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending May 8, 2010:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering3 5:41:43 11.92(28:40) 19.18(17:49) 315
  Running3 1:43:53 13.56(7:40) 21.82(4:46)
  Calisthenics1 2:00
  Total7 7:27:36 25.48 41.01 315
averages - sleep:6.3 weight:178.6lbs

» now

Saturday May 8, 2010 #

10 AM

Orienteering (Foot) 1:24:09 intensity: (4:13 @1) + (21:12 @2) + (40:50 @3) + (17:54 @4) 5.33 mi (15:47 / mi)
ahr:136 max:158 slept:8.0

WCOC at Ansonia Nature Center, CT. This was my worst day navigating in a long while. Given my history in CT, my expectations were not high to begin with. Getting to the start line just in time to get called up didn't help me get into the right frame of mind either. My problems began near the end of the first leg. My GPS track shows that I just missed the control on my left within 10-20m. I just hadn't been able to pick-up on which rocks I was seeing--the terrain is so different from what I'm used to running in with unmapped boulders over a meter tall. I didn't panic as I passed the control but I wasn't careful enough either. I thought I was returning the way I came but my GPS track shows that I headed off by about 90 degrees. Since I turned during this, I had been thinking that I was above the control on the hill but in reality, I had gotten lower. I hunted rocks for a short while and decided to head back toward the start triangle. Along the way, I camp upon some hemlocks and since I'd just crossed a stream, I incorrectly thought I was at the ones which were mapped. I went off rock hopping again and since I could see a road, I eventually found myself part-way between #2 and #3. I came straight to the control after that but it was a long climb and there were more reentrants along the way than I'd originally seen on the map as I started. I hit #2 with no problems, then misread #3--I got too low. I hit a few controls okay after that but with the rain, being out longer than others and not being in such good shape, my legs were rather slow, I made one other awful error going to #8. It started with a parallel error rounding a hill and running along a stone wall. I mistook my position to be on a different stone wall further down the leg. I climbed early and soon realized what I'd done. However, as I continued up the hill, I lost track of my position. I incorrectly located myself at a field but eventually found #9. Good, I thought. I just had a short run to #8 from there. However I ran 180 degrees off and found myself further away. There were some other small problems on other controls but perhaps a worse development from this race was pain on my right heel. I'm not sure if it's connected to the arch and achilles aches that kept me from training much of March and April or if it's bruises from the rocky terrain--my O'shoes are worn out. Since I've been having some arch pain on the same foot leading up to it, I think it's related.

Friday May 7, 2010 #


With my bike still not repaired, I figured I'd have little other chance to workout today. I worked then drove to Connecticutt. It was a longish day so after getting Max to sleep I had forgotten that I didn't do anything to exercise.

Thursday May 6, 2010 #

6 PM

Running (Street & Trail) 46:38 [3] 6.13 mi (7:36 / mi)
slept:6.25 weight:178.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., through Grenwhich Park to Old Georgetown Pike, to W. Cedar La. to the Elmhirst Trail, to Cedar La. to the Rock Creek Trail, to Beach Dr. to Grosvenor La. to the Bethesda Trolley Trail, to Old Georgetown Rd. and to Northfield Rd. via Grenwich Park. I got in what is an increasingly rare run from home, after work. The weather was nice and I felt much better than the last few days.

Wednesday May 5, 2010 #

Calisthenics 2:00 [3]
slept:6.25 weight:178.5lbs

45 situps. I missed an opportunity to run after work and my bicycle still needs repairs.

Tuesday May 4, 2010 #

9 PM

Running (Street & Trail) 40:32 [3] 5.23 mi (7:45 / mi)
slept:6.0 weight:179lbs

I had a very worn out run through Bethesda. I've been really sleepy the last few days despite getting more sleep than earlier weeks. It might be the heat or the little bit of more running that I've been doing. From Northfield Rd., I ran up Custer Rd. to Glenbrook Rd., to the Little Falls Pkwy, to the Little Falls Parkway Trail, through Norwood Park, up Wisconsin Ave. to the NIH and Bethesda Trolley Trails, to Maple Dr. to Lambeth Rd. to Moorland Rd. to Northfield Rd. I added on at the end to ensure getting 5 miles. In Norwood, in the darkest areas, I observed what appeared to be lightning bugs. None were flying--they were on the ground and probably just emerging from their larvae state. They just glowed on the ground and it reminded me of the movie Avatar.

Monday May 3, 2010 #

11 PM

Running (Street & Trail) 16:43 [3] 2.2 mi (7:36 / mi)
slept:6.25 weight:178lbs

From Northfield Rd., I ran up to Custer Rd., to Wilson La., to Exeter Rd. to Glenbrook Rd. to the Bethesda Trolley Trail, to the NIH grounds, to Maple Ridge Rd. to Old Georgetown Pike, to Huntington Pkwy., to Custer Rd. to Northfield Rd. I was very sleepy all day. Perhaps it was the combination of humid and high 80 F weather, the long day yesterday, and general lack of sleep. I finally felt good enough to go for a run at 11pm. It was around the mid 70;s F when I ran but I was still dragging; especially during the initial part of the run. Upon returning, I started work to replace worn chain rings on my commuter bike.

Sunday May 2, 2010 #

11 AM

Orienteering (Field Checking) 2:44:00 [2] 2.8 mi (58:34 / mi)
slept:7.0 weight:179lbs

Lake Needwood, MD. I field checked areas below the lake dam and on the ridges above the streams. I found lots of rock features as well as the many dot knolls. Though it was warm, in the upper 80's F and humid, I enjoyed it just the same.
4 PM

Orienteering (Foot) 1:33:34 [3] 6.1 km (15:20 / km) +315m 12:11 / km

Great Falls, VA. With part of QOC at the West Point A-meet, others going to CT next week gathered and ran from Rte. 193. We did a steep course that was set for a local meet but was not used due to weather issues. The course was actually steeper than usually allowed and not so fun in the first half. It was also in the upper 80's F or low 90's F with high humidity. Instead of requiring control pickup after the slog, the use of biodegradeable items instead of bag/flags let us leave. Sprigs of white azaleas, marshmallow on sticks, and twizzlers wrapped around twigs were used. These controls made it much harder to find. Some weren't found at all but that may have had more to do with lacking a properly updated map than it had to do with control visibility. Dinner with friends followed.

« Earlier | Later »