Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending May 2, 2009:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running4 2:12:49 16.93(7:51) 27.25(4:52) 115
  Orienteering1 1:31:29 4.72(19:22) 7.6(12:02) 300
  Bicycling2 51:37 7.86(6:34) 12.65(4:05)
  Hiking1 30:00 0.5(59:59) 0.81(37:16)
  Total5 5:05:55 30.01(10:12) 48.3(6:20) 415
averages - sleep:7 weight:179lbs

» now

Saturday May 2, 2009 #

Running (Trail) 34:03 [3] 4.25 mi (8:01 / mi)

Cabin John Regional Park, MD. From the playground off Tuckerman Rd. I ran trails to Tuckerman Rd., turned left to cross Cabin John Creek, and after climbing a bit I found the unmarked trailhead of the new trail that mountain bikers seem to have started. It merged with, and I got to nearly the end of the Cabin John Trail before turning right. I got off trail for about 200m before eventually picking up other trails that got me to the campground. To finish, I crossed Tuckerman and ran a counterclockwise route staying near and almost encircling the kid's train tracks. Peggy had stayed and watched Max. When I returned, Peggy informed me of seeing Pat Zerfas run by but I never saw Pat. The trails and woods looked nice despite the leaves being almost fully out. Some of the trails were marked for the XC race that will be held in the park tommorow morning.

Friday May 1, 2009 #

Bicycling (Commute) 18:03 [3] 3.05 mi (5:55 / mi)
slept:6.8 weight:178lbs

From Northfield Rd. to Maple Ave. with Max in his trailer, then to the Bethesda Metro Station. I was feeling a little sore from the run yesterday but it wasn't bad. Some light rain started to fall and I got a bit hot in my rain jacket. After getting through the Air Rights tunnel our way was blocked by construction machinery making a concrete ditch where there was just a dirt one. I turned us around and got Max to day care along sidewalks on Wisconsin Ave. and Maple Ave. The construction should help prevent the sogginess of the trail that's been there but the old bridge from the path into the day care has been removed for now.

Bicycling (Commute) 16:37 intensity: (10:00 @2) + (6:37 @3) 2.51 mi (6:37 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro station to Maple Ave., then to Northfield Rd. via the Georgetown Branch Trail. Upon getting to my bicycle which had been locked-up at the metro station, I discovered that my bicycle had a flat. It also looked like someone had ransacked my seat pack bag. They might have gotten a little bit of emergency money left over from an earlier ride but the pump and a few tools were still there. I had been worried about this when I left in the morning because a guy had pulled up on his own bike in the morning and then just stood around while I and others were going to the trains. Not finding much he might have been the cause for the flat tire too but that could have just been a coincidence; something had even made me check the tire before leaving the house in the morning. I had left work late and it was getting dark with a chance of rain so I gambled on just inflating the flat tire without fixing it. It worked enough to get me to Max's day care so I put some more air in and hitched the trailer before going on my usual route. The construction trucks had gone and I was able to make my way over the new concrete ditch to the trail with the bicycle and the trailer. Unfortunately, I had to stop several more times on the way home to put more air in the tire. I stood on the pedals and leaned weight on the handlebars to keep the weight off the flat rear tire. The tire is in good shape and I'm not sure why the Mr. Tuffy in it hasn't been keeping it from going flat.

Thursday Apr 30, 2009 #

Running (Street & Trail) 1:21:12 [3] 10.56 mi (7:41 / mi) +115m 7:26 / mi
slept:6.75 weight:180lbs

From 14th & Independence Ave. to 17th St., along the Reflecting Pool to the Lincoln Memorial, to Ohio Dr. to the Rock Creek Trail, to the C&O Canal Towpath, to the Capital Crescent Trail, to the Little Falls Trail, to Masachusetts Ave., to the Capital Crescent Trail, to Bethesda Ave. to Woodmont Ave. to Edgemoore Ln. With the Billygoat coming up, my fading last Sunday, it being the last day in April, and not having done much else this week, I felt the need to go longer. I tried to keep the pace comfortable and ran with a few essentials on a belt pack. I didn't feel very strong going into this. Starting off, I reached the Lincoln Memorial at about 7:30/mile pace. Though cool, I was surprised by the increased humidity. I was probably slower getting through Georgetown but moved along well on the flat part of the towpath up until Fletcher's Boathouse. My right thigh was aching on the flats but his went away on the climb. Once I hit the gradual grade to Bethesda, things started slowing down. I had to focus to stay quicker than 8:00/mile pace and perhaps slowed a bit on the Little Falls Trail. I finished working harder and going faster. Available measured splits: 7:40 (mile), 7:52 (1.02 mile), 3:55 (half mile), 3:57, 3:50, 3:46, 3:56, 3:47, 3:47.

Tuesday Apr 28, 2009 #

Hiking (Foot) 30:00 [1] 0.5 mi (59:59 / mi)

Chandler Covey Park, Marblehead, MA. So that we could do something before flying back home, Peggy Max and I drove through Salem, MA to this rocky seashore penninsula park. The lighthouse park was under 4 acres in size and where it wasn't surrounded by cold clear water it was surrounded by pricey houses. However the rocks, the green grass and views of islands in the ocean were great. It was low tide and there were a few tidal pools that could be reached. I wanted to give Max a chance to explore the natural settings but most of the pools were below some steep drops. On the flight home, I could distinguish this distinctive shoreline.

Bicycling (Commute) 16:57 [2] 2.3 mi (7:22 / mi)

Bethesda, MD. Back in our hometown, we picked up Peggy's new hybrid bicycle and rushed out from Northfield Rd. so that all of us could get a spin. We rode together to Ayrlawn Park. Max and I stayed there so that he could use the playground until Peggy returned and then we all we rode home. I was trying to slow down for Peggy to keep her with us but Max would pedal on his trail-a-bike and sometimes push us both. He thinks of the one-wheeled contraption as his new bike and he really likes to use it--perhaps more than his own two-wheeler with training wheels. It was warm. The mosquitoes had returned but were not very bothersome.

Running (Street & Trail) 11:34 [3] 1.52 mi (7:37 / mi)

From Northfield Rd. to Custer Rd. to Moorleand Ln. to Huntington Pkwy. to Old Georgetown Rd. to Maple Ave. to the Bethesda Trolley Trail on the north end of NIH, to Old Georgetown Rd. to Roosevelt St. to Mooreland Ln. to Northfield Rd. After relaxing a bit in a hot house, I motivated a late night run like I used to do. The combination of needing to do something, some changing, cooling, breezy weather, and needing to find a mailbox to mail the first of our refinanced mortgage payments, got me going. The mailbox was found at the intersection of Maple Ave. and Old Georgetown Rd. but the night moved me along. I was a bit slow climbing but kept an honest effort for a heavy feeling, after dinner run.

Monday Apr 27, 2009 #


For a day of relaxation, Peggy, Max and I went to Boston and took a Duck tour through the city. It was a good way to connect the places that I'd seen separately on earlier trips and to get some sense of the history too. Boston has a lot more older places and establishments than most U.S. cities. Our tour started and finished at the Science Museum which I found to be very good. Unlike the Baltimore Science Museum, most of the hands on experiment displays were in working condition. Having some real things like a disected pig's heart and lungs that you could touch through a plastic bag around your hands, actively hatching chicken eggs, and some real animals was a cut above what most do. After a couple of hours we didn't even cover half of the museum, and Max still wasn't ready to leave when they were closing. Doing all of this didn't leave enough time for me to go for a run like I wanted to.

Sunday Apr 26, 2009 #

Running warm up/down (Street & Trail) 6:00 [2] 0.6 mi (10:00 / mi)

CSU Pine Hill A-Meet at Middlesex Fells Reservation, MA. It was already in the mid-70's F at around 9am. I jogged around the high school parking lot, up the trail to the start, then back and forth. It didn't take much to warm-up.

Orienteering (Foot) 1:31:29 [3] 7.6 km (12:02 / km) +300m 10:03 / km

CSU: Pine Hill; in Middlesex Fells Park, MA. I started out fairly well on this but faded gradually. With my sprained left ankle taped but still swollen, it held up pretty well. The worst error I had was in the #6/#7/#8 butterfly loop. I spiked #6 and on the way to #7 I was surprised to find a pond on my route. I took it to be one that was further to my right mapped in blue but really it was a small depression clearing that had filled-up with water just a little bit to the right of going straight. Attacking from the pond to #7, I spiked it but was again surprised to have it come up so soon. It was fortunate that neatly enough for this to work. These two surprises should have clued me in to an error but didn't. Going to #8, I figured half unconciously if it was so short to get to the pond, I should just go straight at it from there. I never really noticed the trail option to the left. The unfortunate part was that attacking from the false pond did not line up well enough as attacking from the mapped pond would have. I came up short and was confused seeing the trail. I went back to the pond and tried again but eventually I relocated on the trail and went straight to it. This cost me about 4-5 minutes. I made another eggregious error while running well over the ridge to #11. I read the curved cliff near it but kept on past it down toward the highway before realizing I should have been up near the top. I tired in the warmth after that. I made small errors which were probably induced by lack of physical conditioning. Some were bad route choices but some were just bad. I should have paused to drink at the second road crossing since that time was not on the race clock but since I'd just caught up and passed a bunch of folks and thought the end was near, I was reluctant to. I rushed off with a bad bearing and had to cross the stream off-trail for some more time lost. It was greener the last loop or so but I wasn't reading things very well toward the end. I even flubbed getting to the Go control by passing a turn. It took almost another minute to figure it out. Overall, I feel that I could do much better. I was not overly disapointed however. It was a fun weekend altogether and I did run some legs well. I continue to look forward to getting in better physical shape through better training. My left knee hurt some more but not as much this time as it did after the Flying Pig.


After a nice lunch and ice cream Peggy, Max and I spent some time at Stone Zoo which was very near the Middlesex Fells Reservation. It was surprising to find the variety they had in such a small place. Some of it was depressing but most of the facilities were pretty good. The bears, coyote, wolves, moutain goats and big cats were the best. After this, Max and I saw and enjoyed the movie Bolt in our hotel room.

« Earlier | Later »