Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending May 29, 2006:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering2 23:32:25 35.29(40:02) 56.79(24:52) 243220 /28c71%
  Running1 1:26:02 6.85(12:34) 11.02(7:48)
  Bicycling1 44:21 6.11(7:16) 9.83(4:31)
  Calisthenics1 2:00
  Total5 25:44:48 48.25 77.65 243220 /28c71%
averages - sleep:5.6 weight:172lbs

» now

Monday May 29, 2006 #

Bicycling (Trailer) 44:21 [2] 6.11 mi (7:16 / mi)
slept:11.0 weight:171lbs

From Rosedale Ave. After dinner Max and I went on our first test ride using the second hand Burley bike trailer that I'd gotten recently. I put it together just in time. The high temperature out earlier in the day was around 90 F. It was a good way to end our day together; Peggy had been out setting controls for the QOC Beer Chase. He seemed to enjoyed it including the faster than baby jogger speed. I had some soreness from the SVO Rogaine but it wasn't bad at all. The naps and good night sleep I got did wonders.

Sunday May 28, 2006 #

Orienteering race (Rogaine) 11:32:25 [2] *** 26.94 km (25:42 / km) +780m 22:27 / km
spiked:8/10c slept:0.0

SVO Rogaine. The second 12 hours we went from #34 to: 64, 75, 71, 33, 65, 21, 61, 23, 40, and 55 (as with orienteering, the distance shown was measured straight line--the rough measure of the actual distance traveled the second 12 hours was 25.5 miles).

Continuing our fun in the dark after midnight, Dave Onkst and I enjoyed the pipeline run/jog to #64 where we rested, ate and restored our water supply. I made sure to drink all I could. We rounded the reservoir then dropped our packs. Eager to get going, we got off on the wrong road going to a valley just north of the reservoir. We had gone down the pink road which didn't show up well on the map. We corrected, then spiked the hard part of #75. We again noted the sign in times of Team Toxic Vomit which had taken a counter-clockwise route; we thought they would be the ones to beat. We returned on a better route, picked up packs and went up District Road on the way toward #71. We figured going the road would be much easier at night than going directly and would make the climb less steep. We dropped packs again at a prominent bend in the road then plunged in. Neither of us could see that a pink trail was shown on the map. We were happy to find it and use it to spike #71. Going back, we were a bit unsure of where we got onto the trail and thus unsure where to leave it to get back to our packs. There was also some preference to avoid some high blueberry getting back; in our minds it seemed like the trail would likely hit the road near the bend where our packs were but this wasn't the case. We eventually abandoned the trail and found our way back to a road but were unsure which direction to go. We turned the wrong way before figuring it out and having to come all the way back for our packs.

The long road walk to #33 brought us to dawn. I was still using the same 4 Lithium AA's in my new Black Diamond Soliras Hybrid LED Headlamp--it seemed worth getting it. I mostly used the LED's but found it great to have the Xenon search light capability when in the vicinity of controls. It really was bright. We saw the DeWitts again at #65 before another long road walk to #21. They explained that it was their headlamps that we saw near the water stop earlier. They also informed us that they had found #70 and made a mistake leaving it. Lastly they told us that they'd slept, something neither Dave nor I had for 24 hours at that point (altogether we went about 34 hours without sleep).

Dave had stopped eating for a few hours due to some nausea and was starting to weaken--the low point for him. We hit the next couple controls well and using staffs to climb a steep hill, Dave found his strength back. We hit the road near camp, and dropped packs for a third time to walk/run up to #40. The curve we attacked from was wide and vague. We missed, headed north then found it south. Finally we ran back to base camp getting there with about 2.5 hours to go.

Heidi Onkst was doing team support and right away tried to make us comfortable. I ate more red beans and rice and drank Gatorade. It was too cold to drink more than 32 oz. Given what we had left, we knew we didn't have enough time for more than one more control which was about 3K away. We trotted off to it, walking part of the way. After spiking it, we returned and ran just about the whole way.

We were finished with less than half an hour left on the clock. I found Dave to be a good partner and was glad we could do this together. We ran similar paces. We both had low points and I thought Dave pulled us both along when I had mine. Thanks go to Peggy too. She watched Max. I was happy that I did reasonably well on a physical level; especially given my recent conditioning. My feet did not blister though my the balls of them did hurt around the caluses. My new shoes felt good but upon finishing and examining them closer I found that the heel had fallen off on one and was about to fall of on the other--this Merril Overdrive model defect is just what a fellow competitor warned me about right at the start.

We found out that we'd won the Master's category soon after finishing. Soon after noon, we found out that we'd barely won the overall point total--our hats are off to Barb and Katia who were only 35 points behind. Though I think we had gone faster and farther, the Female team must have been much more accurate or planned better which is what the sport seems largely about. Going out again in the last two hours for that last 55 point control really counted for Dave and I.

Going home it was a good thing that Heidi drove. Both Dave and I passed out. I must have snored too loudley too because I woke up in the car at one point after Dave and Heidi had put a blanket behind my neck perhaps to improve the air passage. Though I ate and drank both during and after finishing, my weight when I got home was the same as when I left--171.5.

Saturday May 27, 2006 #

Orienteering race (Rogaine) 12:00:00 [2] *** 29.85 km (24:07 / km) +1652m 18:54 / km
spiked:12/18c slept:6.5 weight:171.5lbs

SVO Rogaine. Partnered with the much more Rogaine experienced Dave Onkst, I got through my first 24 hour Rogaine. Starting, my gear bag felt a bit heavy and weighed +15lbs. We decided to get the larger climbs and density of controls out of the way by going clockwise. We figured we'd be able to loop around and be back to the base camp by morning, then do another loop to finish out.

Getting used to the less detailed topo maps took some adjustment. There were far more features than mapped. It was hit or miss on route choice and some errors resulted from unmapped trails or other map differences such as 20ft contours. In the first 12 hours we went from the start triangle to: 24, 51, 73, 53, 44, 72, 25, 60, 45, 54, 30, 35, 22, 70 (but we never found 70), 63, 43, 42, 34 (I think we got this far before midnight). The distance shown was measured straight line from control to control as in done orienteering. However, some rough measuring of the actual route for the first 12 hours shows approximately 28.2 miles.

Going to 73, we were recalling Peter Gagarin's experience at Ultramarathon's as once editor of the magazine by that name. This must have invoked the 5ft. long rattlesnake to appear in the road and shake his tail at us before slithering away. We spoke no more of Peter after that but warned the Domine's when we saw them. Going to #72, we risked taking an unmapped trail to a ridge road. Coming out behind Susie and Rick DeWitt, we passed them but were unsure of where we were on the road. We questioned, then passed the correct turnoff, not seeing the DeWitt's again until 3 controls later. Coming out of The Narrows from the Mont Alto map, we surged ahead of a bunch of people who were on our tail by both finding a fast road then hitting the much more technical control #30 dead on. All this advantage was lost when we fumbled getting to the first water stop, #35. Our straight approach pulled up just short and then trying to relocate from the road we were confused by the trail markings on the map that looked like houses.

Going to #70 from #22, we encountered private property on the direct route. We went around but then didn't have a good bearing to go off of. We missed and wandered a bit before seeing the DeWitt's again as they were leaving the area. We tried attacking twice more off of the stream and off of the road bend with no luck. We should have attacked off the large pond in the field. There were just too many unmapped ponds here (I'm told this area will become an O'map eventually). We felt the 70 minutes we lost didn't justify further investment and we were worried about the oncoming darkness so we went on.

The next fiasco was trying to get to #63. As did everyone else attempting the route, we ran into the umapped 12 ft. high deer fence marked private. We chose to go around to the right. In the process we found it to be an 800m long deviation that forced us to making an unplanned +340ft climb over the very steep Kettle Springs Mtn. Dropping off that with headlamps on and it now being truely dark we encountered the mountain laurel and rhododendrons that forced us on hands and kneeds to crawl 50m or so underneath them. On the other side, we noticed the reflective tacks on the trees and used them to go up to the unmapped Appalachian Trail on Rocky Mountain. They helped us know which way to go. We spiked #63 but it took a lot out of us. It was a low point for me. As a result we abandoned plans to go to #52.

I was very slow for a while after this and tended to wobble when climbing. We ate a meal just past #43 and that helped a lot. Closing out around midnight, we walked on the road toward #34 and decided to play it safe cutting off our lights and jumping into the woods when a pickup truck peeled out and approached. We kept the lights off as we passed the party at the house ahead. We turned them on just in time to find the trail leading to #34. We missed it initially but Dave spotted it on our slightly lower return along the ridge--it didn't seem like much of a spur.

Friday May 26, 2006 #

slept:6.0 weight:172.5lbs

Final packing for SVO Rogaine and preparing food to take.

Thursday May 25, 2006 #

slept:5.5 weight:172.5lbs (rest day)

Pack organizing and fretting about the gear and food to take on the upcomming SVO Rogaine.

Wednesday May 24, 2006 #

Calisthenics (General) 2:00 [3]
slept:4.2 weight:172.5lbs (rest day)

45 situps. Using the time to get gear and food ready for the Rogaine this weekend.

Tuesday May 23, 2006 #

Running (Trail) 1:26:02 [2] ** 6.85 mi (12:34 / mi)
slept:6.0 weight:172lbs

Beech St. at Oregon Ave, Washington, D.C. Into Rock Creek Park. Using mostly the Ridge Trail and the Valley Trail I ran through the woods at night. I needed to test gear for the upcoming rogaine(s). I borrowed Dave Onkst's hydration pack, put some new padding in my shoes, and used Dave's headlamp at about 10:30pm. Trying to run with the dim light setting on a moonless night, it took me less than 5 minutes to end up on the ground and cut my finger pretty good with my compass; it didn't stop bleeding for a long time. It was fun going out but I was slow. The hydration pack was okay but rubbed my neck. It also leaked at one point. I guess all this is why I needed to test it.

« Earlier | Later »