Camp Wakpominee, NY - Long US Champs
Made our starts today, the hike was about just as long but not as steep. When I flipped the map over, I said "whoa, so much black, there's no room for runing?!?" And I was not far from truth.
1) I didn't want to get my feet wet right away in that marsh, so took the trail, and found 1 ok
2) got really frustratd w/ the logging /rocky terrain. Some words not need to mention might have been uttered.
3) When I got to 3, I looked down on that logged rocky steep hill, and said "no!" and got back right where I came from (dog leg) - the logging muddy trail, once I got to the big trail/road the rest was OK
4) Headed to trail, and then for a while didn't quite know excatly where I was (map was just so hard to read), bit little angel brought me to the wet marsh and recovered
5) whoa!! I mean double "whoa"! I didn't see any "easy route". I guess I never saw the trail to the right, I could have veered right and use that down the hill. But instead, went downhill through the boulders and thick and steep, and more words uttered. Also have not seen anyone for about 15 minutes, so it was getting kinda eerie ...When I finally made it to the marsh/creek at the bottom and figured out exactly where I was I was so happy. I guess I could have taken the trail again at this point, but no! headed right through the rough, and for a little while I was confused (again) till I saw the HUGE cliffs on the right, and that was clear and was happy again. Then found the little marsh (little angel watching) and sure enought control was right passed it) Boy, was I happy!!
6-13) A quick look at the map and realized the worst was behind me, but now I was tired and I did make on silly mistake that costed me the second place. I took way too long on 8->9 as I simply could not figure out the distances.
Finally at the finish ..so happy to have finished that is:) ...didn;t bring any clothes so I was freezing while waiting for Robby, and it looked like he spent 2 hours trying to find his control no 2, so needless to say, who knows what words might have been uttered there.
Well, we got a nice shower back to our WONDERFUL suite (such a great view, loved the hotel choice - Surf Side), and that concluded a terrific weekend! I mostly laugh now about the "challenges" on the course :)