Orienteering 1:22:14  9.23 km (8:55 / km) +450m 7:10 / km
1. I had no clue how to attack it while I was running. I wasn't ready to count features. I took thee trail then cut off way too early. Ended up making me check off every control I went by, as I slowly progressed onwards through to gullies.
2. Went well, just cut through gullies(I probably should have gone under them though because they were actually really deep and slowed me down a lot) then just checked off the two streams.
3. Ran to trail, then to stream intersection and countered over
4. Ran to trail(I didn't want to go through more gullies after the 2nd control) then used the pond as an attack point and followed the steam till it intersected.
5. I hit the trail after crossing fence, kept head up and checked off first stream then went to second.
6. I felt that a little climb wound't be bad so I went down to lower trail but cut off as soon as it started to climb, I'm not sure it that was the right thing to do. Then I worked my way to the top of the hill, I ended up walking up half of it, I could use some more hill practice.
7. Down hill, checked my place off as I passed the small trail, then worked my way to the large hill and cut off after the slight bend
8. Crossed first big trail then hit second one and cut off at close point and hit the other side of the trail and headed down the hill and up to next trail and followed it up the re-entrant.
9. Ran along trail till turn then cut off and kept to right side until re-entrant split in two
10. Ran up re-entrant, but took a poor compass bearing and went to right side of pond then hit the trail. Then ran along until an easy point to cross in the fence and kept slightly to the right of a good compass bearing and then ran till I hit the gully
11. When I ran down the hill I tripped over the fence and almost crashed into rocks, caught myself though..luckily... Went slightly around spur and then up the next one till I hit the first gully then went to second one.
12. Ran up stream
13. To trail, off at corner, quickly corrected my compass bearing and carefully headed down hillside, and watched used the light green as a visual attack point
14. Ran across staggered trail, over spur and used the next spur facing north-west as a checkpoint for double checking the spur I was heading up.
15. Ran over, checked off first two large re-entrents then down the hill and checked off the dotted forests and headed up the gully to the left and quickly corrected myself.
16. Ran up the hill with a compass bearing to the white forest, headed down correctly, but because of oxygen deprivation I wasn't thinking straight and crossed the first river I saw... which was the lake... I was wast deep in muddy water, which was pretty stupid. The entire time I was looking at my compass and not understanding what was happening. As soon as I noticed I paralleled the river on the left side and checked off re-entrants till I came to the turn in the river then headed up the re-entrant
17. Ran up right spur till half way up then realized I just needed to contour and follow the re-entrant. I followed the next re-entrant(paralleled to the left) and continued up with a rough compass bearing. I missed it by about 10 meter but quickly recovered.
Water break!!!! 15-20 seconds, I was dead xD
18. Ran to road and dragged myself along till the larger path then followed along the side of the hill till I came across the fallen trees.
19. Ran up spur to left and powered my way through the black berry bushed, then crossed re-entrent and followed re-entrent down to control.
20. Went up to re-entrant north-west of control and slowly made my way to the trail and followed it(checked off the last control because I knew I'd be tired coming back up the hill) then after the trail junction by 13 I went down, checked off the fallen trees and realized I needed to go down the hill some more and hit the control spot on.
21. Powered my way up the hill to the trail and ran to the control
Finish. I was dead but I had to sprint to get the fastest finish in the family, won it ;P
-All river were 100% dry, other than the lake one I crossed
-I'm still confused as to how I could have gotten to 1 easily
-I did a good job running my own course and not trying to lose anyone that I caught up to
-I could have run faster in all of the controls but I was just tired a lot of the time and while I ran on flat grounds I used that time to regain my strength. I think that was the right call because it kept me from making too many dumb mistakes... other than the on to 16
-Often times I picked routes that were more direct to test my navigation skills and stamina with going up hills
-I did a really good job hitting control right on while I was going down hill(I kept in control and didn't just sprint)
-I came back with a black toe nail, it hurts a lot and will probably fall off soon :(
-Forgot my GPS watch, so there won't be a 2D Rerun :(
Mistakes 6-8 minutes
Speed 4-6 minutes(but may have caused more mistakes)