Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: Charlie

In the 7 days ending Sep 29, 2008:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering3 3:07:22 9.32 15.0 20846 /58c79%
  Hike1 2:20:00 6.84(20:29) 11.0(12:44)
  cycling1 1:43:00 26.8(3:51) 43.13(2:23)
  Gym2 30:49
  Running1 13:25 1.09(12:20) 1.75(7:40) 90
  Total6 7:54:36 44.04 70.88 29846 /58c79%
averages - weight:162.8lbs

» now

Sunday Sep 28, 2008 #

Orienteering race 1:28:26 [4] 6.8 km (13:00 / km) +110m 12:02 / km

Green Y course at North Americans. A little intimidated by the overcast, rainy conditions, but overall I found the map more visible than the middle distance map. Generally did pretty well, but lots of small mistakes and a few larger ones. Right on line for #1, but stopped to look at larger rockpile at the edge of the circle on the way in, so lost about 5-10 seconds. 2. was really good, straight all the way, checking off trail junction and going right through clearing on the line. Fairly straight most of the way to 3, although I looked briefly at the trail route right. Crossed right in the green befoer the marshy area then along the marsh. Saw the spur with the knolls, but got confused by the rootstock under the line and crossed the marsh over to the knoll and ran up the spur to the control. Maybe 10-15 seconds from the momentary indecision. Trying to go straight but drifted right a bit and went up the reentrant and saw the trail end, then tried to correct and thought it would be easy to find the first reentrant and then the second one, but ended up wandering and wandering. Finally relocated off the marsh to the NW. Dave Enger (5 mins) caught me here. Relatively intermittent trail S of control W to the road. Could hear folks behind me on it. Maybe Dave? Dave passed me on the road, but then I was first into the woods, skirting the marsh, but surprised by the knoll just NW of the control so stopped to look at the map and Dave punched first. Had planned the safe route along the ridge top to the wall NE of control, but from the ridge top it looked ok to justgo on compass and assume I would see the largish re-entrant the control was in. Dave was a bit higher on the slope and I was sure he had gone by it, but I didn't see it so kept going to the next reentrant. Then stopped to read and saw the stone wall fragment, so back E to control. Carl Childs was leaving it and I tried to follow him but he was too fast. Up hill looking for the wall, but never hit it, and I guess I was too far right. Dave showed up and led for a bit, but I punched first at 7. On trail, then Dave passed and got well ahead. Eventually cut S and crossed between green marsh and trickle, then up big hill on knoll W of the knoll near control, so a bit of a hesitation before figuring it out. Could see Dave 50 m ahead or so as I punched at 8. Thought about left trail route and right trail route, but straight seemed to work ok, mostly because I couldn't decide between left and right. Slowing down and careful , but reading the last few knolls and in pretty well. Dave came in behind me from the right a bit. E to road to bend and trail, where Dave passed again, and I was keeping an eye on him as he drifted right, then saw the blue control on the spur S of ours and went down to check it, feeling foolish. Figured out it was the spur and then went directly N to #10. Parallel error from here in reentrant left of the line when I thought I was right, leading me to drift left when I got over the hill instead of right and mill around for a couple of minutes before figuring it out. Saw Dave leaving about 50 m before I got to the control, so he was probably at least 100 m ahead now. Straight might have been a pretty good route to 12, but left to the small trail and then road was safe, and I saw a parade of folks going the other way on the small trail, including PG and Rick W. Jumped off road at knoll before the trail jct on the left and across between marshes and straight in. Only about 10 m behind Dave, who had gone further up the road and got slowed down in the marsh. He then went left toward 13, but I went right (same route as PG's map shows). Very nice and felt in control all the way. Saw Dave coming in after I punched. Mostly skirted the hill out to the road, then road to the water stop at top of the hill and into the woods, drifting a bit left behind Dave, and watching him go to the knoll nearer the marsh, following most of the way to it before correcting and getting to 14 before him. Feeling very tired now, and he got out to the road faster and appeared to be heading up to the finish and taking the easy trail route. Since I was falling farther behind him on the road, and didn't want to follow him anyway, I cut through the woods, thinking I would find the reentrant that led down to the control. Nicest running woods of the day, but I got a bit off and ended up going down the smaller reentrant south of the one I aimed for and looking for the knolls that weren't there until I was in the marsh. Pretty scared that I was really lost, but lucky enough to go back to the hill and read the terrain right, up the reentrant from the S and right in. Maybe a 3 minute bobble. Then to 16 left of line to avoid the marsh, but couldn't read the tiny features in the vicinity of the control and ended up standing in a reentrant just SE of the control for a minute. PG passed on the way to 17. Just kept pushing a bit right of line, past stone pile before marsh, across and up the marsh, running right in. Then I could see the finish and just bore off a bit to pick up the flag on the trail. Not a bad performance for me. Lots of mistakes, but at least corrected well on all but #4.


Having finished the race and collected Erik, I've repaired back to the car to change into dry clothes and beat a hasty retreat home. The fellow in the next car (a Canadian whom I don't know) engages me in a few pleasantries and gives me the customary greeting orienteers give when seeing someone after the race: "how did you do?". I think for a millisecond about the day's adventures, and respond, with some forcefulness, "great!" And it's true enough, despite the variations from perfect navigational form. After all, my performance was as good as I can reasonably expect from myself if not all that I could desire, and I've contracted no new injuries. What could be better? Anyway, the fellow is a bit taken aback by the unconventional response, but finds it pretty pleasing, and we chat a while, with big smiles from both of us the whole time.

Saturday Sep 27, 2008 #

Orienteering race 53:57 [4] *** 4.1 km (13:10 / km) +98m 11:45 / km

Middle Distance Green Y course at Salmon River Fish Hatchery at North American Champs. Detailed area, which is always difficult for me. Big parallel error at #6 and difficult to relocate. turned out to be about 4 minutes, but seemed much longer while it was happening. then fell in with PG and coach for a bit, which sped me up a fair amount. Didn't last for long, though, and had another big clunker at #10. Also about 4 minutes, but seemed much longer, too. 4th in M60, missing a medal by about 45 seconds.

Friday Sep 26, 2008 #

Orienteering race 13:59 [5] *** 1.8 km (7:46 / km)
spiked:10/11c weight:162lbs

North American Champs, first sprint. Good run, one 30 second error overrunning a control because I hadn't read the clue. Otherwise pretty clean. Very nice park terrain. Lots of fun. 5th place in M60 for first run.

Orienteering race 16:00 [5] 2.3 km (6:57 / km)

Finals at Green Lake SP at North Americans. Tried a little harder to keep moving pretty fast. No real problems, just one brief hesitation at #15, but not more than five seconds. 2nd in M 60 for the race, 3rd for the combined time. Excellent.

Orienteering 15:00 [3]

warmup for sprint races.

Thursday Sep 25, 2008 #

Hike 2:20:00 [1] 11.0 km (12:44 / km)

Tunxis trail loop with Rhonda and Hazel.

Gym 12:00 [5]

abbreviated warmup, then the workout known as Fran: Thrusters and pullups, 21-15-9. 25 lb dumbbells for the thrusters. Time was 7:44, which was better than last time by almost a minute.

Wednesday Sep 24, 2008 #

Running 13:25 [3] 1.75 km (7:40 / km) +90m 6:06 / km

Plan was to run the Art Sweeton loop with Hazel, but she was apparently feeling lethargic, so off by myself. Down on the so-called Buttonhole trail, some noise off on the right and there were three nice fuzzy bear cubs, looking like about 40-50 lbs each, and their mom keeping an eye on them. The cubs scrambled up trees. They move very fast. And I backed up a bit and found a different route, running past the small pond and up through the clearcut and up and down on some of the newer trails a few times.

Additional AOWN: A beaver has taken over my small pond (Ellen's pond). Water level is way up, it's kind of messy, and there is a lodge at the northern end of the pond. This explains why the water level is so high in the marsh. I need to build a bridge on one of the newer trails where it is too wet to cross now.

Gym 18:49 [4]

workout of the day was supposed to be rounds of 400M run and max pullups, however many you can do in 20 minutes. My 400M course I think is somewhere between 500 and 550, and I walk up and down the stairs to the pullup bar in between, but I make up for it by not making very many pullups. runs were 2:45; 2:48; 2:51; 2:49 and 2:46. Pullups 10-10-8-8-6. Hard, but not a real maximum effort, and not as tough as some of the other workouts that involve thrusters.

Tuesday Sep 23, 2008 #

cycling 1:43:00 [3] 26.8 mi (3:51 / mi)

From Pleasant Valley. Idea was to go up Sandy Brook Road, but the road was, well, sandy - recently oiled. So just headed up route 8 for a while. Nice weather. First bike ride in what seems like a month or more. Had a flat on the way back. First one of the season. Seems like I used to change flats a lot more often.

« Earlier | Later »