Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Training Log Archive: tRicky

In the 7 days ending Feb 5, 2012:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Rogaining1 11:46:40 46.29(15:16) 74.49(9:29) 160551 /63c80%
  Road bike12 11:36:11 200.34(17.3/h) 322.41(27.8/h) 626
  Mountain bike1 1:22:42 14.78(10.7/h) 23.79(17.3/h) 401
  Core stability2 58:15
  Running1 38:40 4.99(7:45) 8.03(4:49) 86
  Total16 26:22:28 266.4 428.72 271851 /63c80%
averages - sleep:6.5

» now

Sunday Feb 5, 2012 #


Afternoon nap through the cricket. It was raining and there was 'alternative programming' on so I thought the match was abandoned but I ended up missing the Hussey Hurricane.

Saturday Feb 4, 2012 #

8 AM

Mountain bike (Kalamunda Circuit) 1:22:42 [3] 23.79 km (17.3 kph) +401m
slept:7.0 shoes: Giant Anthem

Thought I'd give the Anthem one last bash before it gets a completely new frame. Legs felt a bit tired early on but they seemed to get better. Probably not the best time to be trying to break records though, on a Saturday morning just after a week of rain when the tracks have all settled down - every man and his camel are out there! Well actually I didn't see any camels but there were about 30 cars parked at the Camel Farm and I ended up passing about ten people (eventually) out on the track. Funny thing is everyone seems to do KC clockwise. In fact, the only person I passed going the other way was riding the wrong way up Camakazi.

Put the foot down three times today, one less than last week. Once was when I was riding behind a slowy though and he somehow managed to stop dead at a rock or tree root so I was lucky to avoid running into him. Another pair both also managed to come to a complete halt at a rock garden but I managed to get around them easily enough.

Almost came a cropper on Muffin Tops where there's this double jump halfway down, the idea of which is to go over the first top and land on the far side of the second one. I misjudged it completely though so got airborne on the first then landed with my front wheel on the upward rather than downward side of the second just as the back wheel was coming in to land so had to do some fast maneuvering to avoid the over the handlebar routine. Fun ride though. Managed to beat all the splits from last week even with getting stuck behind bunches of people on the 4th leg.
7 PM

Rogaining race (M3 Rogaine) 11:46:40 [3] ** 74.49 km (9:29 / km) +1605m 8:34 / km
spiked:51/63c shoes: Salomon XA Pro 3D black/pewter

It was only just Tuesday evening I was telling Richard I'd never collected all the controls on a 12 hour event and so blow me down, look what happened!

Our team of tRicky, Nicki and Steve M were really well matched and took off out of the start as fast as we could because we didn't want anyone seeing which direction we ran off to.

I don't know what happened during the night but somehow we came across Tooms and Andre FIVE SIX TIMES and Juffy and Dolf THREE TIMES and I think we encountered every other team on the course at least once. We went along okay until our first encounter with Glooms where we tried to trick him by running away from the control before we'd found it to try and lead him astray but it didn't work and so we had to try and catch up again later. After that we didn't have any big mishaps until after the moon went down, then we spent ages running around in circles trying to find controls in the pitch black. Steve's Petzl zoom headlamp with the flat batteries came in really handily, not in finding controls but in providing humour for the team.

Once we hit the NW we decided we had so much time left that we decided to waste it all by messing up more controls, just to make it interesting on the run home. This worked a treat because rather than having 1.5hrs to spare at the finish as per my pre-race estimate, we instead only had 15 minutes.

Enjoyable event, and by my research the first time since Feb 2004 that a team of more than two people has won a WA event, and the first time since April 2002 that a mixed team has won (excluding 2009 Aus Champs).

Friday Feb 3, 2012 #

7 AM

Road bike (commute) 57:00 [2] 27.2 km (28.6 kph)
slept:7.8 shoes: Giant TCR

It wasn't raining when I left home, but then it did rain when I got to Tonkin Hwy. There weren't many cyclists about. Hopefully it doesn't rain on Super Tuesday because I at least want to get to the one million mark on my little corner.

Bike computer stopped working intermittently due to rain, typical.
1 PM

Core stability (core strength) 26:00 [2]
shoes: Fletch's Tevas

I remembered halfway through the workout that I was meant to be increasing the time and/or reps on all activities so I kicked on for the later ones. My shoe tried to blow away.
5 PM

Road bike (commute) 59:37 [2] 27.41 km (27.6 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

I thought I might make it home in under and hour and blimey, I did!

Thursday Feb 2, 2012 #

6 AM

Road bike (group ride) 1:18:03 [4] 45.59 km (35.0 kph) +161m
slept:5.1 shoes: Giant TCR

Got a lift in with Bolto this morning but with the tiredness of this week and a minor twinge in my right calf muscle that first showed itself on Tuesday, I was never going to do any work.

Smallish group to start on the most humid day ever. The Broad Construction group caught us early on, which was unusual because they were originally in front of us, so it was a pretty pacey ride from there. I never bothered to go to the front today because I just wasn't feeling it and my lack of usual toilet stop before the start manifested itself early on.

We joined up with one or two other groups shortly before the Raffles and somehow lost half of our own group, with Cautiousboi and I almost losing whatever group we were now following due to getting stuck midway between several groups. I tried to catch back on with Speedboi zooming past and doing a good job of it but just as I got to the back they upped the pace and I fell off again, not to rejoin until Mt Henry.

Broad group flew down the freeway path so Cruiseboi and I dropping off to a more respectable pace in an attempt to find our group again. A few others did likewise and we joined them for the recovery section before the cruise turned into a plod when we got stuck behind a group of girls. At Juffy's Super Tuesday intersection the girls as a collective almost managed to fall of their bikes whilst taking the corner at a phenomenally slow pace so it was good to get past them.

About the only thing I achieved today was to lose the UWA sprint, not to Sprintboi (who pulled up at the sign), but to another guy with a backpack. Almost drowned in my own shirt afterwards.
7 AM

Road bike (commute) 12:09 [2] 5.69 km (28.1 kph) +40m
shoes: Giant TCR

Commute to work from Claremont.
5 PM

Road bike (commute) 1:01:35 [2] 27.4 km (26.7 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

Mmm, nice putting on a still soaked shirt for the ride home and it didn't even rain this morning! It did start raining just as I left work though so that was nice. I really have to do something about this dip in the front tyre. It's quite depressing and getting me down. I felt deflated and flat and couldn't bump up the pace but there's no dimple solution.

Wednesday Feb 1, 2012 #

7 AM

Road bike (commute) 58:08 [2] 27.23 km (28.1 kph)
slept:7.1 shoes: Giant TCR

You know you're not going to have a good day when you wake up even more tired than the previous day and you practically fell asleep at your desk on that day. What was worse was that I still had a bug in my eye that I'd picked up on the ride home yesterday - the bug that is, not the eye. The eye I've had for as long as I can remember, possibly even as far back as primary school.

So it was a tired ride in on tired legs with no hope of recovery tonight with a Council meeting scheduled then the Thursday morning ride tomorrow.

I did get to see a cyclist with even less awareness than me though, which I didn't think was possible. At the Roe/William St lights the southbound traffic had just finished going through and from my own careful observations over the past couple of weeks I know the northbound traffic gets the next turn but a cyclist in front of me heading west obviously didn't know this and with a bus stopped halfway across the intersection and the green light for north traffic clearly visible, he proceeds to go around the back of the bus into the middle of the intersection, completely blind to all traffic, and across in front of the cars on the other side. I was waiting for the inevitable crunch of cyclist-under-car but somehow this was all avoided. Part of me wanted to see him get crunched just because I knew that if it was me that's what would happen but then that's a bit mean.
5 PM

Road bike (commute) 9:36 [1] 3.68 km (23.0 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

Short ride over to DSR to meet our new SDO but there was no CAKE for Simpko's retirement, disappointing.
8 PM

Road bike (commute) 1:17:50 [1] 29.11 km (22.4 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

It was raining when I left DSR and I had to ride the now unfamiliar route to Thornlie to my sister's place for a late dinner so headed to the lights at Loftus & Vincent St, which are really awful. To get across Loftus you press the button, wait to cross but then only get halfway across because to go the other half you have to press another button and wait for another entire run of the lights. By the time I'd actually gotten to the railway line I'd almost died of boredom waiting for about five light changes in the rain; I'd actually given up in the end.

Very slow from there to Thornlie, trying not to crash on the wet paths, avoiding pathworks on the Narrows -> Canning Bridge stretch and then trying to remember the route to Thornlie without going via Booragoon, which I managed to do. I did, however, forget to turn left at Yale off Nocholson until I was about a kilometre past it, by which time I figured I'd just go another way. Almost successfully did this until I actually reached my sister's street at which point I turned left instead of right, which I'm sure I've done once before.

Got inside to find out I've become an uncle again, although yet to hear the news directly from the source.

Tuesday Jan 31, 2012 #

7 AM

Road bike (commute) 48:20 intensity: (47:20 @3) + (1:00 @5) 27.32 km (33.9 kph) +39m
slept:7.7 shoes: Giant TCR

The headache was gone this morning but I felt drained, as though my body used its last energy reserves to repair damaged synaptic nerves. Anyway there was another great easterly blowing so I took off on the bike but didn't break any records getting to Tonkin Hwy due to the crazy amount of traffic banked up on Hale Rd. I got stuck behind a truck at the Tonkin/Hale lights and it took off so slowly that I hooked in behind and drafted it all the way to the Roe Hwy ramp, where the driver must have suddenly realised that the speed limit was not 70kph so he lost me.

Cruised over the bridge then had a bus and truck decide to turn left onto Kewdale Rd about 300m out from the actual intersection so they proceeded to block the cycle path. I was having none of that so hooked out onto the highway through the stationary traffic then back in front of the now stationary bus and on my merry way.

Pleasant cruise the rest of the way. I was feeling so good about cycling that I even signed up for Super Tuesday!
12 PM

Core stability (core strength) 32:15 [2]
shoes: Fletch's Tevas

End of the month; about time to up the dosage next month. I was feeling a bit weak at the start of this session, probably due to the insubstantial dinner I ate last night.
5 PM

Road bike 7:17 [1] 2.25 km (18.5 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

Short ride over to Kings Park to meet up with whomever was there for a run. I thought I'd be clever today so rather than crossing Thomas Rd at Bagot Rd and having to wait for the lights then having to wait to cross KP Rd, I instead crossed Bagot Rd then at the lights, intending to ride the path to Stickybeaks. Of course my cleverness didn't pay off with some silly sign proclaiming the path was closed for 'public safety'. Rather than crossing back over the road I just rode on the verge and didn't feel very safe at all. The roadie doesn't like riding in sand very much.

Running 38:40 intensity: (21:30 @2) + (17:10 @4) 8.03 km (4:49 / km) +86m 4:34 / km
shoes: Salomon XA Pro 3D lime/black

I figured I haven't been injured nearly enough lately so thought I'd go for a run. There were a whole bunch of ory-in-tears at the playground sitting around having a picnic. I assume they were sitting around because of all the path closed signs everywhere and nobody wanted to be the first to get up and ignore them completely.

In the end everyone hopped up and ran away so I picked a likely looking suspect whom I thought would run the grandfartherest. It turned out to be Richard today so I gave chase and after a few goes managed to match his awesome speed. We chatted about life, love and the pursuit of happiness and women but after we hit Park Rd Richard decided he'd had enough of me and told me to shove off and that he wasn't moving another inch until I did, so I set off in-tears down Park Rd to complete the 8km loop.

I must have had the wind behind me all the way because I picked up speed and after a few kilometres found Richard again just before he finished running so I snuck past him when he wasn't looking and came across someone's bike chained to the finish gazebo and thought I'd have a ride of it.

Road bike intervals (KP anti clockwise) 48:51 intensity: (20:54 @2) + (27:57 @5) 24.73 km (30.4 kph) +290m
shoes: Giant TCR

Decided to do something a bit different today so after doing an entire lap of Stickybeaks on my bike to see if there was another way out (there wasn't) I headed over to the May Drive circle at the top of the hill and did some anti clockwise loops around KP. Goal today was to coast the downhill from the circle to the end of the speed bumps, then hammer up to the first roundabout, short recovery to the second roundabout then hammer back to the circle x 4. That way I actually had something to match against to see how fatigue was setting in. At a guess I'd say the final leg was the fastest on both the uphill and sprint finish because I had a car to chase and overtake on the final stretch.

5:29 1:28 (6:57)
5:34 1:26 (7:00)
5:32 1:28 (7:00)
5:37 1:23 (7:00)

Hmm, close. Last uphill was the slowest but short sprint to the finish was the fastest. Good consistency though, like a well made custard.

Road bike (commute) 53:21 [2] 22.81 km (25.7 kph) +96m
shoes: Giant TCR

Homeward bound! Into the easterly.

Monday Jan 30, 2012 #

7 AM

Road bike (commute) 53:22 [2] 27.23 km (30.6 kph)
slept:7.7 shoes: Giant TCR

Thankfully the TCR didn't explode overnight after I put the front wheel back together so I didn't have to add it to the list of exploded items at our house and I got to ride it in. The rear tyre got refitted by a TBE Bike Specialist after the manager decided to replace the cut one at no charge, thanks TBE, so that saved me the pain of doing two changeovers. I don't know what I did to the front one but now rather than having an egg in it, it has a dip instead. This whole tyre thing is getting to me. Maybe I'll see how the bike goes without wheels.
8 PM

Road bike (commute) 1:11:02 [1] 24.76 km (20.9 kph)
shoes: Giant TCR

I had a mild headache when I left work, probably something to do with all the caramel eggs I ate during the day, but by the time I'd finished up at the massage place it'd turned into one awesome headache. No doubt this was due to fluid recirculation that these massages causes. Anyway I was very surprised I actually made it home because it was pretty hard to focus on anything. I think I blinked more times than my front light flashed. Come to think of it, the flashing front light probably didn't help my cause.

« Earlier | Later »