Had intended to go walking with Nat in the Beacons. As I was about to leave the house, Nat text me to say she had tingly arms/fingers so wasn't going out. I decided to stay at home.
Topeak Mini Pro 20 multi-tool
Watched London Marathon on TV then did some planning for Exped Africa.
Did some bike maintenance:
- changed front tyre from tubeless Tough Tom (29 x 2.25?) to Racing Ralphs (Snakeskin 29 x 2.1).
- changed jockey wheels on rear derailleur to (BBB Rollerboys BDP-02)
Was going to bleed the hydraulic brakes but my Dot 5.1 brake fluid had leaked and emptied.
- Topeak Mini Pro 20 multi-tool
- Chain HG-X 10sp
- MTB Tool Bag
- Knog rear red light
- Giant Contact Ergo Grips
- Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid
- 2 x little bottles of Stans
- Tyre (Schwalbe RR 29 x 2.10 SnakeSkin TL Easy Addix Speed) to replace 2.25 currently on rear.
Cassette on the bike was 11x36T so need to change it for EA.
Also prepared training planner for Patagonia and circulated it to the team.
Paddling1:29:12  8.99 km (6.0 kph) +3m ahr:92 max:100
Paddling training on Sit on Top with Nat. Up and down the Taff 4 times from Radyr weir.
Got a bit bored!
Road bike4:05:36 33.3 km (8.1 kph) +1325m ahr:103 max:140
Weighted hike - Neuadd Reservoir Horseshoe
Moving time - 3:44:00
Elapsed time - 4:05:36
Nat and I decided to go to Brecon Beacons to get some time on feet. From Storey Arms, we walked up to Corn Ddu, PyF then down to the trough between PyF and Cribyn. Nat turned back whilst i carried on to do Cribyn, Fany Big and continue around to complete the Neuadd horseshoe.
Boiling hot weather. 21 deg in the valleys but a little cooler on tops. Clear blue skies and burnt my forehead!
Carried the same rucksack that I intend to use at Exped Africa i.e. the Montane 25L filled to make a weight of about 5kg.
The Cribyn Fell race was on and we saw the runners between Pen y Fan and Cribyn. Ben Mitchell (MDC) won!
Started just after 1900 and finished about 0500. It was dark throughout with exception of NEath to Maerdy Road crossing. Temp was high for this time of year.
The section from the 13km to xxkm mark made up a section of the ITERA Wales 2014 Adventure Race where I raced with Phil Scarf, Ben Turner and Outi Kamarainen.
Really enjoyed it. A few points:
1. Need to change front tyre to Racing Ralph (new)
2. Rear red light (knog) - busted or new battery suffice?
3. Big Exposure Light kept turning off. Send back for service.
4. Tool bag doesn't allow fitting of dog lead (for towing)
5. Get larger cassette?
6. Change sprockets on derailleur.
7. Buy new multi-tool. Old one has seized up with rust.
8. New chain and easy-link. Got one or buy new one?
9. Raidlight bottle has not straw.
Mount Goode +2 is 3x18-minute intervals between 97-99% FTP with 6-minute recoveries between intervals.
The primary objective here is improvements in muscular endurance accomplished by growing your ability to repeat efforts at near-FTP wattages.
By working close to but below your FTP, you not only accumulate a lot of time at a meaningful level of stress, but recovery from slightly sub-threshold effort comes much more readily than recovery following work done above your FTP.