Register | Login
Attackpoint AR - performance and training tools for adventure athletes

Discussion: 2021 Crooked Compass Racer Update

in: Crooked Compass Adventure Trek (Dec 4 - Thurmont, MD, US)

Feb 4, 2021 1:38 PM # 
The following went out to registered participants this morning:

Hello Rootstockers,

We know you have been thinking of the 2021 Crooked Compass, some with excitement, some with uncertainty, and perhaps a few with trepidation. As racers ourselves, we know how long and hard this past year has been for those of who love to head to the woods for a weekend of racing with friends and family. We have all been missing that. As race directors, we appreciate how patient and dedicated you have been; it has been so hard not to be able to share new adventures with you.

While we have weathered two postponements already, it seems that we will have to wait even longer before seeing you all again. Unfortunately, we were notified this week that we will not be allowed to run the event this spring due to continued local COVID restrictions. While we are disappointed to have to postpone again, we deeply respect the land managers we partner with who are managing park visitors every day during these challenging times while also attending to their own unique, personal situations.

So, what comes next?

We are hoping that the third time is the charm! Due to uncertainty about whether we would be granted a permit during the summer, conflicts with other events, and the reality that summer isn’t THAT far away with the COVD situation still being challenging for so many people, we are aiming for Saturday, December 4. We have found that early December is a wonderful time to race, and we are optimistic that our region will have made enough progress by then to hold the event. The park managers are hopeful about that as well.

So, we hope you will grab the sharpie, amend the calendar, and stick with us (one last time?) so we can see you all for the 2021 Crooked Compass. If you'd like to hold your spot, you don't have to do anything further - your registration will automatically transfer to December. If you would like a refund or credit, please fill out this google form with your preferences and information.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. We really are so disappointed that we will have to wait longer to see our Rootstock family in person, but we are so excited to see you when the time is right!

See you in the woods,

Abby and Brent
Feb 4, 2021 6:27 PM # 
bummer. but understandable. thank you Abby and Brent for all your efforts.

Here in Western Pennsylvania, we are hoping for favorable permit conditions to allow Raccongaine and we are crossing our fingers.
Feb 5, 2021 1:56 AM # 
@Sherpes, we got some good news today on our PA-based Two Rivers AR, set for Memorial Day weekend. Hope you get the same.

Please login to add a message.